There are brands that do a bit of marketing. Then there’s marketing that makes brands. Today, I’m going to rave about the second kind.
In this collection, I’ll feature some of the best brand activation stunts we’ve come across. They go above & beyond in giving the audience a personalized experience and loads of value, which is why the product is remembered long after the campaign is over.
Prepare to be dazzled, inspired, and educated by these case studies on Marketing done right.
Orchestra Burger ~ McDonald’s
- Agency: TBWA/NEBOKO
- Year: 2017 for McDonald’s Netherlands
This brand activation campaign has left us drooling for more. What a way to introduce a new product. Hats off to the creators behind it
- Focuses on the key experience that the burger stands for, which is the premium feeling of royalty and special treatment.
- Chooses to engage with customers one by one and not all at once, making the campaign truly memorable for a lifetime!
- Creatively uses the same setting where customers will actually be eating the burger – transforming a normal @mcdonaldsnl outlet into a grand orchestra house!
Scrabble Wifi ~ Hasbro
- Agency: Ogilvy & Mather Paris
- Year: 2013 for Scrabble
You’ve probably heard the concept of “gamification” in business school, but if you want a practical example of how it’s done to activate brands, this highly interactive campaign by O&M Paris is perfect!
- It utilizes a simple but fun challenge along with an enticing reward to attract customers to play
- Captures an untapped market in public spaces + solves a genuine pain point
- Propogates the core value of the product (vocabulary & word knowledge) into the campaign
Basically, it just proves that knowing more words can literally get you free stuff in life (in this case, wifi). That’s the whole point of the product, so we think this campaign is bang-on!
Noise-o-Meter ~ Bose
- Agency: Wunderman Thompson Dubai
- Year: 2021 for Bose Headphones
Like a jingle, this one’s going to be stuck in our head for a while. We love the campaign because:
- Empathy: It shows awareness about the troubles or pain points that customers are going through during COVID-19 and the Work-From-Home routine
- Pricing: It chooses to try a rarely used, novel technique called “empathetic pricing,” in which you understand your users’ situations & offer pricing accordingly. This is an often ignored P of the 4Ps mix
- Value Proposition: It perfectly integrates the value of the noise-cancelling product into the storyline & purpose of the campaign. After all, if you’re in a really noisy work environment, you need Bose headphones the most, so you get to claim the biggest discount!
We’re amazed by the level of creativity and the seamless execution here. How does one even begin to conceptualize an initiative that’s so thoughtful yet so simple?
So that concludes our list of some cool marketing campaigns from around the world. Which one did you enjoy the most and why? Did we miss any noteworthy case studies? Do you think stuff like this makes a difference for the business at all?
Share your thoughts & suggestions in the comments.